Learn more about cheese at Deschutes Public Library
Know cheese at DPLS http://tinyurl.com/lzt76on
Posted in Food, Humor
Tagged Food, Humor
Trying something a bit new here. It used to be that blogs were actual web logs – that is, logs of things that interested the blog owner. It think it’s also important to write but sometimes I like to share links (hence, my Twitter account) but I am not so vain as to think that anyone is watching just me and I’d like to make these things easily available at a later time. So, I’m going to try collecting some of the things I find in a digest.
I may or may not annotate with summaries or comments. Think of this as an experiment in culture and communication.
- Western strike teams to help with NM #wildfires – The Denver Post http://bit.ly/11uwcwS #NMFire
- #SantaFe Is Squished in a Sandwich of Fire – John Metcalfe-The Atlantic Cities http://bit.ly/16MAogj #NMFire
- It’s not a lot of fun, believe you me – but I love the visual analogy.
- Camp operator wants #policy to change (Saskatchewan) – http://bit.ly/14jcLrZ #wildfires #SKFire
- Interesting that the same discussions take place in Canada, regarding what resources to use in fighting fires and when to deploy them
- Protect your home from urban brush fires : The Issaquah Press – Issaquah, WA – http://bit.ly/13dnFNe #WAFire
- Good advice, even if you’re not in Issaquah!
- One Million Bones – Full Schedule – http://bit.ly/13dlJnR
- If you don’t know about One Million Bones, you really ought to. It is an art installation, in the works for some years now. Artists (and citizens) have crafted one million human bones to place on the National Mall to create a symbolic mass grave to bring awareness to the horror of genocide. The installation will start on Saturday the 8th in DC. Short notice but they’re really good about media, so I’m sure there will be things to follow online.
- 2013 Buckaroo Ball Saturday, June 15th, Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, New Mexico – http://bit.ly/13dxJFU
- “Since 1994, the Buckaroo Ball Foundation has been dedicated to its mission of raising and distributing funds to non-profit organizations that serve at-risk youth in Santa Fe County. Buckaroo Ball Foundation is now a fund within the Santa Fe Community Foundation. The Ball is mostly run by a group of dedicated volunteers who donate their time and resources to produce what is one of the largest and liveliest fund-raising weekends in the Southwest.”
- Samantha Power and the Weaponization of Human Rights » CounterPunch http://bit.ly/14jl07l
- Commentary on Samantha Power’s views on human rights. I actually enjoyed her book, Problem from Hell. This is an interesting take on her policies.
- More on her appointment to the ambassadorship: Samantha Power Picked To Take Over For Rice At U.N. : NPR – http://n.pr/14jlt9z
- Andrew Seybold: Communications During Major Disasters – http://bit.ly/13dCyir
- Sometimes my aggregator shows a picture for a different story from the same source when suggesting an article. Haven’t found the story for the picture but I’m relatively certain this is a mugshot and totally unrelated to the headline. If not, boy am *I* gonna be embarrassed! Just found it amusing.
science, Tech, and Gadgets
- Congressmen to visit brain science labs | Brown University News and Events – http://bit.ly/14jIFV6
- I can see from the title there’s worth in this concept
- Envisioning my friends and colleagues investing in flashights right now… Turning off OCD-like behaviors in the mouse brain with a flash of light – Science – Boston.com – http://bo.st/14jJcq7
- Get everything done: Any.Do branches out from to-do lists to calendar, email, and notes | The Verge – http://bit.ly/14jJsp6 HT @svartling
- It’s a good thing most apps for iOS are minimal fee because I cannot tell you how many apps I have in the cloud that I’ve given up on. Stefan comes up with cool stuff to try, though, so I’ll give it a go.
- Cross-file under Humanitarian: “A way of thinking may enable battle but prevent war crimes. Researchers show brain operates differently by the way we dehumanize others” http://bit.ly/15P4QCz
Posted in Emergency Management, History, Humor, Life, New Mexico, Wildfire
Tagged Disaster Relief, Emergency Management, Human Rights, Humor, New Mexico, science
People – please be careful when you see a deer crossing sign.
Deer – please be careful when people who don’t have a clue see a deer crossing sign.