@wildfirediva tweeted out this past week that she was taking a 3-day workshop on CISM (Critical Incident Stress Management). I asked a colleague over a NMDSHEM if they had such a class in New Mexico and she said they do not but that there is a conference and she would let me know when it comes up. I will pass that information along when it comes around to me.
In the meantime, it’s a topic that I really want to know more about, so I’ve been asking around social media for resources and @ArchangelEM (who is awesomesauce, by the way) gave me four links already, so I decided it’s better to put them here and hope that others have suggestions to add.
I only want to add things here that people will endorse. We all can Google things but that doesn’t indicate quality, so if you’ve read something useful or taken a course, that’s what I’m after.
- Traumatic Incident Reduction and Critical Incident Stress Management: A Synergistic Approach (TIR Applications… by Victor R. Volkman (Jun 7, 2010) – Kindle eBook
- GoogleBook link from @ArchangelEM
- 13th Annual Emergency Management Higher Education Conference – Tuesday, June 8, 2010 Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) Powerpoint Slide Deck [HT @ArchangelEM]
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing: An Operations Manual for Cisd, Defusing and Other Group Crisis Intervention Services (Print only) [HT @ArchangelEM]
- Search of Homeland Security Digital Library [HT @ArchangelEM]. I’m making an exception to the search results rule here because the source is targeted.
- A Road Less Traveled – a piece by Leesa Astredo, of Info4Disasters.org & EMsafespace.org, specifically addressing digital responder stress
- Digital Volunteers and Disaster Stress, by Rakesh Bharania, of CISCO Systems. Note, also, the embedded slide deck from his presentation to CISCO disaster responders.
- Technically not CISM but still possibly useful…. EMDR (eye-movement, desensitization, and reprocessing) was put to use after the Yarnell fire in Arizona. It can be used to treat PTSD long after the event occurs. More information on EMDR is available at the EMDR Trauma Response and Recovery Network.