- ESRI has developed an online GIS tool for those responding and those affected by the current Colorado fires to monitor the situation on the ground.
- The US is not the only place experiencing wildfires. Sumatra’s fires are producing haze, extending into Malaysia and Singapore. When haze attacks three countries, cooperation needed
- Today’s policy editorial from the Durango Herald: Forests, fires and budgets – Tight times mean no easy answer preventing, fighting forest fires
- I’ve made a number of friends in the US Forest Service but not one of them has introduced me to a Smurf. We’ll have to work on that… The Smurfs™ Encourage Children to Get Outside and Discover the Forest
- The Colorado Rural Electric Association has established a Black Forest Fire Electric Co-op Relief Fund to help the more than 500 members of Mountain View Electric Association, who have lost their homes and businesses during the last two weeks. Co-ops Battle Persistent Wildfires
- Every community in the West should be this forward: No warnings: Boulder police to ticket, arrest anyone with fireworks this summer
- Bill Gabbert is pretty upset in his piece in Wildfire Today, InciWeb is failing. While I agree it’s a shame how slow it gets when fire season really kicks into gear, I would have liked to see a little credit given for the social media strides they’re making this year. Doce Fire had its Facebook page set up on the 18th and it already has more than 6,000 followers. They are posting prolifically and are answering comments. It’s a move in the right direction, while we wait for a better Inciweb implementation.
- For all the time we spend discussing fires in the West, this is a perspective that I think we often miss. Before fire hits, artist aims to capture nature’s beauty