You probably dial a few of them every day, but do you ever stop and think about the history behind a phone number? When were the first numbers introduced? How did you end up with a particular area code?
We’ve got the answers to these quandaries and more in our collection of 10 fascinating facts that you might not know about the common phone number.
Take a look through the gallery and let us know which facts you found interesting (as well as any gems we may not have included) in the comments below.View As One Page »View As Slideshow »1. How Phone Numbers Were Invented
2. The First U.S. Area Codes
3. All About Emergency Numbers
4. The Most Expensive Phone Number
5. Woz Owned 888-8888
6. Fictional Numbers Are Set Aside For Films
7. However, Some Films Ignore the Convention
8. Famous Phone Numbers in Music
9. How to Find Your Personalized Phonewords
10. Finally, a Neat Phone Number Magic Trick